The end of the year means flu season, and with the pandemic still ongoing in our communities, it’s more important than ever to make sure you know how to take care of yourself as well as your family.
If you’re looking for more natural remedies to help boost your immune system, chiropractic care can help!
According to the CDC, common signs and symptoms of the flu include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, muscle or body aches, headaches, and fatigue.
As a specific correction chiropractor, Dr. Gessert recommends being proactive about your health. Instead of waiting to get the flu and treating the symptoms, there are many things you can do to protect yourself to make sure you never get it in the first place!
- Supplement with vitamin D: As fall turns into winter, we are exposed to less sunlight, and more dry air. When the weather gets colder, we close up the house and turn up the heat, and spend more time indoors. A research study suggests that people who are low in vitamin D are more susceptible to getting acute respiratory infections caused by pathogens like influenza.
- Exercise: If exercise isn’t part of your normal routine, it’s time to make it nonnegotiable! The benefits of exercise are virtually endless. Moderate exercise can help boost your immune system.
- Cut down on the sugar: A diet rich in grains, simple carbs, and sugar can place unnecessary stress on the immune system. If you struggle to cut sugar out entirely, consume it in moderation, especially during the holidays!
- Get more sleep: According to the CDC, 50 to 70 million Americans suffer from a sleep disorder. Research shows there’s a big correlation between sleep and our immune system. A lack of sleep can affect your ability to fight off the flu and common cold.
- Drink more water: Let’s face it – we’ve all had days where we realized we’ve consumed more caffeine than water. Without enough water, toxins can build up and put stress on our immune systems.
How Chiropractic Care in Ann Arbor Can Strengthen Your Immune System
The brain and central nervous system control and regulate our entire body including the organs of the immune system. These include the thymus, tonsils, spleen and lymph nodes. Segmental displacements of the neck and spine can obstruct or block this neurological connection thus affecting the ability of the immune system to react to foreign pathogens.
To keep yourself healthy, it’s important to take care of your health in all aspects! If you’ve been dealing with chronic pain or other issues like back pain, neck pain, numbness or tingling in your hands or feet, or migraine headaches, chiropractic care in Ann Arbor could be the solution for you. Contact us today to get started!